anna's archive anna's archive anna's archive

January 2022

17 January 2022

A woman on a Delta Airlines flight from New York to Atlanta, Georgia, removed her cat from its carrier and began to breast-feed it. At least she attempted to do so - flight attendant Ainsley Elizabeth later stated that the blanket-swaddled hairless feline began 'screaming for its life' and refused to latch on to the woman's breast. The passenger ignored the cabin crew's requests to cease this activity, and security staff met the plane when it landed. In Elizabeth's words, this was 'just to tell her that she couldn't do that again, 'cause it was weird and gross'.

A referee in an Italian sixth-tier football match ordered a goal kick after seeing the ball sail past the net from Pierluigi Arcari's spot kick. Arcari was sent off the pitch for his protests that the ball had entered the goal, but it turns out that he was correct: the kick had found a large hole in the net. The league match, in which Arcari's team lost while one man down, was ordered to be replayed, though Arcari must still serve the three-match suspension he earned for threatening an official.

Two Los Angeles police officers did not respond when summoned to a nearby robbery scene. While they later claimed not to have heard the radio, in-car footage has clarified that they were too busy to provide backup for pursuing the shop-robbers: they were pursuing a Snorlax. According to an investigation report, Louis Lozano and Eric Mitchell 'drove to different locations where the [Pokémon] virtual creatures apparently appeared on their mobile phones', for roughly the next 20 minutes. They can be heard discussing the game, deciding to ignore the radio, and concluding 'the guys are going to be so jealous'.
They probably are not jealous of the pair's firing for false and misleading statements, failures to respond, and on-duty gaming.
A court rejected their contention that in-car recordings' use as evidence should not extend to private conversations.

The Sûreté du Québec reports on an incident in which a local man, checking out suspicious noises, found someone attempting to get into his vehicle in the dead of night. He rang the police while giving chase, and the cops took it from there, following where the freshly fallen snow lay dinted. At the end of the path was a 17-year-old who has since been linked to attempted vehicle break-ins at roughly 15 locations in the municipality of Les Cèdres that night. Police spokesperson Audrey-Anne Bilodeau reports that he is due to face charges for these and receive a fine for violating Quebec's curfew.

Setting the stage for a prank on an employee of South Carolina's Coastal Firearms, 59-year-old Jon Whitley placed a replica Glock BB gun among the shop's weapons. When that employee, 36-year-old friend Stefan Mrgan, later arrived at the shop, Whitley grabbed the Glock and shot him in the face mid-chat. The only problem was that he picked up the wrong firearm, and Mrgan died.
While the shooting was unintentional, Whitley was later arrested for involuntary manslaughter. The warrant explains that Whitley, as the shop's owner and 'arguably a firearms expert', acted in a manner that 'constitute a departure from common firearm safety practices'.

Hurrying to leave work at the end of the day, John Croucher, the head chef of Hinton-in-the-Hedges pub the Crewe Arms, left the semi-cooked mince for shepherd's pie in the fridge overnight. The next day, prior to the village church's harvest festival, he removed it from the clingfilm and reheated it, adding warm mashed potato.
Croucher soon found himself apologising to parishioners for food poisoning. He was unable to visit all 32, however, since 92-year-old Elizabeth Neuman had died, after repeated vomiting. Croucher, who reports that he is 'a better chef' because of this experience, no longer works at the pub, and he has been handed a suspended jail sentence and a three-digit sum for breaching food regulations.

Hoping to obtain a SARS-CoV-2 vaccination certificate without having received a jab, a 50-something man in Biella, Italy, showed up to an injection appointment with a silicone mould over his upper arm. The nurse noticed the fake arm - it had a 'rubbery and cold' feel, and the pigment didn't match his overall skin tone. Despite his pleas for her to look the other way, she reported the man, reportedly a health worker who had been suspended from his job for lacking the requisite shots.
Leader of the Piedmont regional government Albert Cirio said that the incident 'borders on the ridiculous if it were not for the fact we are talking about a gesture of enormous gravity'.

A rather different vaccination tale comes from New York, where biology teacher Laura Rosso offered to help a 17-year-old student with anti-vaccination parents. She gave him the shot at her home, after which the teenager told his parents what he'd done, and they, in turn, reported her to the Nassau police for having neither their consent nor legal authorisation to administer the vaccine. Russo, 54, faces up to four years in prison for unauthorised practice of a profession and has been assigned non-classroom duties.

A day of professional wrestling might not be complete without a choreographed attack on the referee, but things unfolded rather differently after Devon Nicholson, a.k.a. Hannibal and Blood Hunter, lost a World Class Pro Wrestling match. Nicholson, 39, began gouging referee Lando Deltoro's head with a metal spike while maintaining a hold on him. Though some onlookers believe this to be pantomime, a female wrestler intervened. Then, a male spectator stepped in to drag Deltoro out of Nicholson's range by the legs. The spectator took a pounding before security personnel acted.
The CEO of World Class, announcing a lifetime ban, later said: 'Someone [...] took something too far and someone could have lost their life because of it.' Nicholson meanwhile stated that Deltoro, whose injuries necessitated seven surgical staples, had been 'hired to bleed' so must have cut himself to fulfil his contract. He added: 'If he had told me he was getting hurt I would have stopped.'

In Milbank, South Dakota, Brent Monroe Hanson, 57, gave sister-in-law Jessica vague answers about what had become of her dog, which he'd promised to care for while she was in hospital. Her husband Clyde intervened once the ensuing argument had escalated to blows to her head, and the couple reported the incident to the police.
A few months later, police chief Boyd VanVooren called Brent in to ask whether there'd been further issues and to give him a Christmas card from church. Told that Clyde and Jessica 'no longer live [t]here', VanVooren might have left it at that, but a call then came in from a food-delivery worker about blood on the Hansons' door. So the chief asked where the pair had moved. The answer was a throat-slitting motion and 'I snapped; I killed them on Sunday.'
Officers found their machete- and baseball-bat-mangled bodies behind a tarp and drywall. The couple's three-year-old son was unharmed; in the days since the three murders (Jessica was heavily gravid), Brent had been looking after him in another part of the house.

Louisiana's Rutledge Deas IV is at it again. Having been rumbled for posing as a mentally disabled man in order to get female nurses to 'babysit' him and change his nappies, he pleaded guilty to attempted human-trafficking (of care workers) and drugs charges and was given a 12-year prison sentence. That was suspended in a plea deal, however, and the 31-year-old Deas has now been caught violating his probation by not just employing the same ruse again but also asking at least one victim to help find more caregivers to help with his ostensible special needs. Police are still trying to find all of the possible victims.

Seeking new beginnings, Arkansas's Laura Oglesby applied for a social-security card on her daughter's behalf and used it to get herself a driving licence. The 40-something Oglesby then moved to Missouri, where she enrolled as a Southwest Baptist University student, gained employment at a library, and began dating young men in the guise of her 22-year-old daughter Lauren Hays. After roughly two years of this life and $25,000 in debt accumulated under Hays's name, a traffic stop led to things unravelling. She faces up to five years behind bars for identity theft and has been ordered to pay restitution to her daughter and the university.

Chinese media report that a woman identified as Ms Wang was caught out by a rapidly imposed COVID-19 lockdown after returning to her hometown of Zhengzhou as the new lunar year approaches. In a WeChat post, she stated: 'I'm getting quite old, so my parents arranged more than 10 blind dates for me.' She was on the fifth of these dates, at the home of a man who wanted to prove his cooking prowess to her, when she discovered that she would not be allowed to leave his home for at least a few days. While describing the situation as 'not ideal', she was satisfied with the meals cooked for her each following day.

A man probably thought he'd struck it lucky in Las Vegas after he met Nikki Grandel and Staycee Johnson at Caesar's Palace and they accompanied him back to his hotel room. However, his Rolex watch and bag of cash were missing when he'd finished taking a bath. He prevented the women from leaving the room, so Grandel rang the police.
While officers were taking statements, the man's missing $6,500 bankroll was 'found bulging out of Johnson's pants', according to their report. It had fallen from her vagina. In contrast, the Rolex was still nestled in Grandel's genitalia. It has been marked as evidence for the women's upcoming grand-larceny trial.

Want more?

Follow the link for an earlier bundle of Anna's News Clippings.
Want later clippings? You can have a browse through the February-to-March pile.

Go to the Clippings index page

Go to Anna's main index page

Pages and content © 2000-2022 Anna Shefl